Ken Frank’s 1957 Diary
Listed below are extracts taken from the diary of Ken Frank, Marconi Engineer, working at Gore Hill during the installation of the new studios.
6 February 1957
At AWA collecting schedules, circuits, etc
February 7 1957
At ABN with Fred Kenyon and Eric Hitchen discussing facilities and minor rearrangement
February 8 1957
Morning with Grahame Sibley – equipment situation. Afternoon with John Poll, Eric Hitchen and Fred Kenyon, and for a time with Ken Middleton, re arrangement of MCR console and ducting, VDAs and patch panel
February 13 1957
Checked material shortages. Moved over into new building, film handling room.
February 14 1957
Cables and connectors moved from Arcon building.
March 1 1957
Two chaps on loan for day. Unpacked 2 sound cabinet racks and taken to MCR.
March 6 1957
Rough check on chain pulses w/- EMI CRO.
March 19 1957
Two studio bods Reg and Doug Curtin worked on installing RPS’s in racks
March 25 1957
Checked over Line Clamp Amplifiers.
March 29 1957
Don Crowley getting relay contacts
April 1 1957
Delay room available 8/4/57
April 4 1957
Drawing out Master Control sound patch panel from information contained in wiring diagrams
April 5 1957
Checking through all Master Control sound equipment drawings.
April 15 1957
Worked out mains power requirement and draw up schedule
May 3 1957
Measuring up coax cable lengths.
May 4 1957
Black bar fault on Gen Lock appears to be from irregularities on incoming signal from Links
May 27 1957
Shifting dimmer bank and rectifier
May 30 1957
Meeting discussed Presentation and Continuity
June 3 1957
New ABC chap started – Brian Clift
June 4 1957
Alan Nash new ABC chap started
June 7 1957
AWA carpenter finished plinth. Ducting off to O’Donnell Griffin for plating.
June 12 1957
Plated ducting arrived back from O’Donnell Griffin. 3 – 7 pm with john Poll discussing communications
June 24 1957
Storm water leaking on floor of Master Control
August 29 1957
Writing up VDA test figures. Hadfield down to discuss timing of new studios.
August 30 1957
Checking ducting requirements running around studio 21
September 2 1957
5 cases plus lighting control arrived
September 9 1957
Dimmer banks for Studio 22 moved into position
September 13 1957
Working on drawing for studio 21 T.B.
September 25 1957
Re-arrangement of equipment in MCR sound cabinet. Grahame Sibley fitting preview switch etc. into console.
October 4 1957
Alan Nash making 75 ohm terminations
October 8 1957
Arranged for technical earth installation. Hole to be dug Mon/Tues and plates to be buried on Wed next week
October 17 1957
Boys getting technical earth cables in
October 25 1957
Morning – Ken Middleton, John Poll, Eric Hitchen, Grahame Sibley discussing opening
November 3 1957 (Sunday)
Grahame Sibley, Warwick Davies, and Eric Hitchen on the job. Grahame on EMI CCU pulses; Eric and Warwick on MCR Line Clamp Amplifiers
November 21 1957
MCR audio virtually complete. Audio testing MCR to be completed by end of next week.
November 27 1957
Alan Nash and Brian Clift finished cabling studio 23 – putting tags on.
November 28 1957
Continuity suite building work under way
December 3 1957
Put VDA, sound and vision patch panels in Telecine rack. Measured up coax lengths.
December 4 1957
Tubular steel monitor racks for Studio 21 arrive
December 12 1957
Got most of Studio 21 talkback working.
December 27 1957
Did Marconi distortion tests on TVA’s. Did tests on SRF except noise and crosstalk
January 2 1958
Boys over from studio - Ed Dutchman (Eddy Berlage?) & Sam Brown
Ken Frank's involvement with the Gore Hill installation began in 1957
as the engineering representative from AWA/Marconi. During his career
Ken has been involved with television broadcast design, contracts and
defence electronics. He retired in 2000.