ABC TV at Gore Hill in the Fifties

RADec.55.4.jpg (28156 bytes)

 

Extract from the ABC’s 26th Annual Report to the Postmaster-General:

Drama
The most significant development in drama and features was in the increase of television activities – especially since the opening of the new studios in Sydney and Melbourne.

A full-length  live television drama in rehearsal at the Sydney studios


In all, 24 "live" plays were presented, most of them an hour or more in length. No other television organisation in Australia has, so far, attempted anything on this scale. Critical and public reaction has been excellent.
Seven of the plays were locally written, and the television adaptations of all productions were done in this country.

Television – Sydney
The first of the Commission’s main television studios in Sydney was brought into service on 29th January, 1958 and it is expected that the second main studio will be ready for use during 1958/59.

An ABC camera in position opposite the Sydney Town Hall to televise the citizens' welcome to the Queen Mother (on the dais) on her arrival in Sydney on February 21, 1958


Further property was also added to the Commission’s building site at Gore Hill, Sydney, by the purchase of two blocks on Pacific Highway, adjacent to the present television building.

Sporting
With the co-operation of broadcasting organisations in other countries, the A.B.C. was able to bring descriptions to sound audiences, and film cover within a matter of days to TV audiences of major world sporting events. These included the Cricket Tests between Australia and South Africa; the Wallabies’ Rugby Union Tour of Great Britain; the F.A. Cup Final and the English Rugby League Challenge Cup.


Australian swimmers, John and Ilsa Konrads on the television programme Sports Cavalcade


Technical Services – Television
In both Sydney and Melbourne the transfer of the technical equipment from the temporary locations, in which it had been installed prior to the beginning of the television services, to the permanent studio buildings was carried out without any interruption to the programme service.

The control panel overlooking one of the main studios at Ripponlea, the ABC's television headquarters near Melbourne


In Sydney, the permanent installation of equipment in one main studio and a small presentation studio, as well as telecine, telerecording and master control equipment, had been completed before the end of the year. The installation of the equipment in the second main studio, a film dubbing suite and film processing facilities is in hand and will be completed in 1958/59.


An ABC telecast of a church service


In Melbourne also the equipment in the first main studio and the telecine, telerecording and master control equipment were permanently installed and work on the second main studio was well in hand.

In Sydney and Melbourne the Postmaster-General’s Department also completed the installation of the main transmitters and masts, which were brought into service in August, 1958, in Sydney and in September, 1957, in Melbourne.

The permanent masts are approximately 500 ft. high, and provide an effective radiated power of 100 Kw for the vision and 20 Kw for the sound carrier.


Source : Twenty-Sixth Annual report of the Australian Broadcasting Commission, Year Ended June 30, 1958